Long Time, No Blog. Sorry I've Been Reading

Hey, welcome back to my blog! It's been quite a while since I've blogged but I have a great book to tell you about today. When I started my blog my readings goals were quite simple: read more non-fiction and AP titles, average at least an hour of reading each day, and complete thirteen books by the end of the school year. I'm currently averaging an hour or more every day and I'm enjoying every single moment of it. It's now so simple to pick up a good book instead of my phone. I am reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak which has been my longest book and my favorite book I've read all year.

The Book Thief takes place in the fictional town of Molching, Germany in the midst of World War II. The book is narrated through the eyes of Death, and it tells the story of Liesel Meminger's life growing up in Nazi Germany and the beauty tragedy can bring. Even though I am not quite finished reading the novel, the book has caused me to rethink life and the things it has to offer.

Growing up people have constantly iterated to me, that I have the power to control if a situation will "make or break me." But, as a child living in a world filled with first world problems, I've never truly understood what that meant. Yet, I've learned from a 12-year-old girl how tragedy can create the best in people. From Liesel's department from her family to her arrival in a completely new environment, she finds simplistic happiness through reading and her foster parents. Not only is Liesel constantly forced adapt to new situations but she makes the best of them. When Max Vandenburg, a Jew, shows up at her house, Liesel is obligated to give up her share of things but "was lucky, it was always a friend" (page 227). This quote, in my opinion, is what makes readers more enthusiastic to continue to read and finish the novel. Liesel, a 12-year-old girl, finally has a foe on her side after life had been throwing her curveballs. Sometimes the darkest times are followed by the biggest and brightest bursts of life.

Zusak does an outstanding job of expressing such a simple message to an array of such a large audience through both the novel and movie. It helps people improve their attitude when the going gets tough and gives people a spark of hope that things do get better. The way we look at life is all dependent on our mindset.

Comments

  1. Great line: Sometimes the darkest times are followed by the biggest and brightest bursts of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the line "tragedy can create the best in people". My question is, did you end up reading more nonfiction and AP titles this nine weeks? You mentioned it but never followed up. You liked The Book Thief, I think you would like something in contrast to that called Suicide Notes From Beautiful Girls. They are different and you said you were trying to vary your genre selection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Another Day, Another Book

Get To Know Me